Knafeh, shnitzel and holy city


Among all my Jerusalem adventures I want to share my impression about its delicious food. To be precise it will be story about my gastronomic trip to the market with typically israeli name Machaneh Yehudah. Not only name of place is very authentic but also its atmosphere is as soon as you make a step inside. Market has relatively small area but still crowded with people of multiple nationalities and backgrounds. Since first moments my nose felt various shades of smell - salty, sweet, spicy, savory and  those I can’t describe. But one common thing that related to all of them - smells momentary increased appetite. 

The first thing I have decided to try was new and exotic to me - shnitzel in hallah. Juicy and tender meat with aubergines in tomato sauce and furthermore all these inside fresh shabbat bread. My hands felt pleasant warmth and softness of hallah. One more amazing thing about this food was price - big portion which I shared with my friend, costed me only 45 NIS. 

To finish my meal in Machaneh Yehudah I followed recommendation of many  Israelis and bought knafeh. Basically Arabic desert became also israeli national food and can be found almost everywhere. Despite the fact that I had tried knafeh before I definitely can say that the one I ate in Jerusalem became my favorite. Warm and soft cheese feeling melted in my mouth and pistache on the top gave knafeh particular Middle East taste.

In short, it was fascinating experience but not only because of food I ate there. The mix of music, people around and dozens of those different tiny shops transformed this journey into an unforgettable lifetime experience, which I strongly believe I have to try once more.


Comments

Popular Posts